How do we get from "I really need to start working out" to actual sweat?
How do we get from "I really need to get going on this book proposal" to seeing words organized on a page?
How do we get from the intention of whatever that thing is we want/need/been meaning to do, to making it actually happen?
Okay, so we've established that it's not easy. Whether it's finishing a scrapbook or taking charge of our health, it can be really hard to get our arses in gear. We say "no time" but of course that's a fake objection. This is evidenced by the fact that we make time for other people and tasks.
I'll cop to it. I've been complaining about not having enough time to work on this blog. And yet somehow over the weekend I managed to help two friends with their blogs.
I know I'm not alone. I'm surrounded by "givahs" and I bet you're one of them too.
So back to question: How do we get past the talking (or whining or postponing) to the actual doing?
Going back to my Personal Strategic Management approach, I believe the key is focusing on three steps:
* Transform thoughts, feelings, words, feeding only positive energy.
* Visualize yourself at your goal and believe it will be done.
* Engage in the actions which will get you to your goal.
* Focus on making the right choices and acknowledge yourself for doing so.
* Ask for help.
* Feedback, physical assistance, accountability and/or just the time and space for #1 & 2 to be possible are all critical elements to success.
The thing is, it's just not enough to make the effort sustainable. The actions are very important; life is about choices afterall. However, we must have alignment and energy from the inside-out as well as support from the outside-in get us to long-lasting success.
So, now think of that thing you want to accomplish and map out what you will start to do differently to get to that goal: internal, external and support.
Surround that goal and conquer it!